CALL FOR ARTISTS
Tuesday, June 27th, 2023
August 6th to September 28th, 2023
In the Spring many of us look forward to venturing outside and taking walks around the neighborhood. The warmth of light flickering down through the trees guide our steps over sidewalk cracks, passing familiar streets and buildings as we go. Yet, while immersed in our restorative stroll, few of us ever imagine the hidden and antonymous world that lies right below our feet.
Underground — a place distinctly separate from what we know and see above ground, but where both nature and man exist. In this subterranean domaine, fresh water, artesian springs flow, tectonic plates shift, and root systems connect and spread for miles, while bombarded with gas lines, sewer pipes, fracking wells, and massive dumps of garbage. Sometimes people come across forgotten ancient civilizations, precious gems, and for the tenacious and young at heart, buried treasure. With the aid of a pig and some luck you might even find truffles 2 to 3 feet down. Here you’ll find rabbit holes, moles, voles and those elusive trolls as well as ant colonies, night crawlers, dung beetles and a million other amazing creatures. They dwell and hide below ground to be safe from predators, unlike the current disturbing wave of underground predatory creatures hiding and living amongst us in the light of day.
Underground is a juried exhibition open to a variety of interpretations and all media is eligible for acceptance.
1. Exhibition is open to residents 18 years or older, living in NY, NJ and PA.
2. All media will be considered and must be original and by the artist.
3. We prefer that work be hand delivered to the gallery, but will accept pre-paid shipment of work
preferably through the Post Office with return packaging to and from the gallery.
4. Art work must be wired and ready for hanging and/or installation and must not exceed 60” in any direction.
Please no saw tooth hangers. Size limitations for sculptural and video pieces will be considered individually.
5. Two dimensional works on paper and other fragile surfaces must be framed with glass or Plexiglas, except with special permission
6. All accepted art work must remain at the gallery for the duration of the exhibit. Upon delivery of work, the gallery has the right to reject work that is not consistent with submitted digital images.
There is no entry fee to enter the exhibit. Accepted artists pay upon delivery, a nominal fee of $25, by cash, check or money order payable to Hamilton Street Gallery to cover costs for promotional mailing, hanging, lighting and installation. Hamilton Street Gallery charges 25% commission on art work sold. Sales will be finalized at the end of each exhibition.
Hamilton Street Gallery will provide insurance for work upon receiving art, during exhibition and up until work is picked up. Artwork is not insured while in transit to and from the gallery.
There are two ways to submit work:
A. Up to 5 digital file submissions will be accepted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
B. Up to 5 images on a CD rom can be mailed through the Post Office
1. All submissions must be in JPEG format in the order you would like them viewed with artist name and title of work. Images cannot be larger than 800 x 800 pixels at 72 DPI.
2. An image list on paper, numbered in the order in which they appear on the CD, including title of work, media, dimensions, date, and price.
3. One page resume (please include phone number and email address)
4. An artist statement (optional but encouraged)
5. An SASE for return of materials is requested
6. Video and performance artists should submit DVDs labeled with name, title, date and price
(All submissions should be received, not post marked, by the deadline date.)
Please mail completed submission package in an envelope no larger than 9” x 12” to: Hamilton Street Gallery,
P. O. Box 710, Bound Brook, New Jersey 08805. or email submissions to email@example.com
Gallery Hours: Thursday 12 to 5 pm, Fridays 5:30 to 8 pm, Saturdays 1 to 5 pm and by appointment.
Important dates to remember:
Submission Deadline - Tuesday, June 27th., 2023
Notification of acceptance by email - Monday, July 3rd., 2023
Delivery Dates - Thursday, July 27th., 12 to 5 pm.
Friday, July 28th., 5 to 8 pm. and Saturday, July 29th. 12 to 5 pm.
Opening Reception - Sunday,August 6th., 2 to 5 pm.
Pick up dates - Thursday, September 28th., 12 to 5 pm.,
Friday, September 29th., 5 to 8 pm. and Saturday, September 30th. 12 to 5 pm